Saturday, April 11, 2015

A Very Special Sandwich: The Helter Skelton

My falafel recipe is a lot softer than most I've come across. Feel free to substitute your own favourite falafel recipe if you like yours firmer. Or use my recipe and use more flour until desired consistency is reached.

I made my aoili my mixing two tablespoons mayonaise and two tablespoons of my mum's Lebanese garlic sauce (toum) because I had some to use. Again, use your favourite recipe or bought aioli if you so desire. That being said, Mum's garlic sauce is well worth the small effort. I'm salivating just thinking about it.

I used bought tabouli (sorry, Mum) that had quinoa instead of burghul. Make your own if you want to feel superior to me.
*********
Falafel:
Makes 6 falafel patties

1 brown onion, peeled and roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled
3 tsp ground corriander
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/2-1 tsp cayenna pepper (optional)
3 x 400g tins chickpeas, rinsed and drained
50g flour
2 egg whites
Salt and pepper to taste
Oil for frying

Combine all ingredients (except oil) in food processor and mix 'til onion and garlic are well chopped but the chickpeas still have a little texture. 
Alernatively, make falafel by hand by finely chopping onion and garlic and mashing all the ingredients together.

Form mixture into six large patties about the same circumfrence as a hamburger patty. I would recommend removing all rings and wetting hands before doing shaping coz that stuff is goopy.

Place on a baking paper lined baking sheet, cover with cling wrap and refridgerate at least an hour.

Heat two tbs oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. Fry until golden on both sides. 
You'll probably need to fry them in two batches so place them in a warm oven as they cook if you want warm sandwiches. They'd be just as good cold, though.
*********

The Helter Skelton
Makes six sandwiches.

6 fried falafel patties
6 kaiser rolls or other white bread rolls, split in half (it has to be white to be a Helter Skelton; James loves white bread)
tabouli
alfalfa sprouts
aioli

Spread aioli on both sides of the rolls.

For maximum ease during the actual eating, assemble in this order: bottom of roll, alfalfa, falafel, tabouli, top of roll.

Shove in your face!

Thanks for stopping by. I don't know what my next blog post will be but stop by in a fortnight to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment