Monday, March 18, 2013

Chicken Adobo











1 1/2 cups white vinegar
1 cup water
6 cloves garlic, crushed
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 tsp peppercorns, crushed
8 chicken Marylands, cut into thigh and drumstick pieces
3/4 cup soy sauce
vegetable oil
chopped spring onions to garnish

1. Combine the first five ingredients in a Dutch oven. Place chicken pieces in the mixture in one layer and bring to a boil on the stove over high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

2. Add the soy sauce and stir to make sure it's evenly distributed though the sauce. Bring back to a boil, cover and simmer for a further 20 minutes or until the chicken's cooked.

3. Remove the chicken from the sauce, shaking off as much liquid as possible. Pat dry with paper towels and place on a plate. Put the sauce on the back burner and bring back to the boil to reduce a little.

4. Heat about 3 tbs oil in a frying pan until very hot. Fry the chicken pieces all over until crispy and brown. Place all the chicken on a serving dish and pour the sauce over the top.

Serve with rice and sprinkled with spring onions.

----
*A comprehensive list of benefits of owning a Kindle:
  •  Giant books weigh the same as small books. No more carrying giant handbags and straining your back when you're reading a thick book.
  • Ashamed of what you're reading (50 Shades, perhaps?), no one can tell what you're reading when you're reading a Kindle.
  • Speaking of 50 Shades, you know who gets to read books for free before they become super popular and they jack up the price? KINDLE OWNERS!
  • Adjustable print size. No need to order large print books.
  • Carry around multiple books at a time! No need to fear finishing a book while you're out and being left without anything to read.
  • Get the classics for free (or almost free.)
  • Cheaper books
  • Don't want to commit to buying the actual book coz you're not sure you like it? Get a free sample.
  • Instant gratification! No waiting for books to arrive in the post.
  • Ink screen- doesn't strain yours eyes like an iPad or computer.
  • Built-in dictionary so you never need to wonder what a word means again!
  • Going shopping for dinner? Take your Kindle for easy access to the list of ingredients.
The list goes on! I'm not being paid by Amazon. I just really really love my Kindle.

11 comments:

  1. This looks yummy, I might try with the chicken I bought last week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really yummy! Just careful when you're frying it. The oil kept spattering so hard it was burning me from across the room :-P

      Delete
  2. That's it, I'm gettin one.

    BTW: Your Chicken Adobo sounds so good. The whole crispy brown chicken thing had me.

    PS: That PB & J Bread and Butter Pudding (re facebook), turned into a PB & N (for Nutella) Bread and Butter Pudding... just couldn't make up my mind that day. It was delish, as only Peanut Butter and Nutella can be. I'll post the recipe on my blog soon - if you're interested.

    Happy Kindling... the books, not the twigs, that is :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that was you! Yeah, I'm definitely interested ;) I'll be over to get the recipe soon. I'm still keen to try a PB&J one though, might have to try that myself.

      And I'm glad I could convert you to Kindles. I love mine SO much. I highly recommend Kindle Keyboard, they're $100 refurbished from Dick Smith.

      Delete
  3. I am pretty addicted to my Kindle. I carry it everywhere with me, which is perfect for NYC where the space in my purse is extremely precious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's one of the reasons I love them. Some books are so heavy and cumbersome, a Kindle is definitely preferable to carrying them around everywhere.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness these cartoons are the sweetest!!!!!!
    I'm one of those "I just love real books!" kinda people. But I do see the appeal to kindle's. So sad yours fell in the toilet but hooray for getting a new one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love real books too! One of the reasons the Kindle is great that I forgot to mention is that when you're one of those people whose houses are crammed to max capacity with books (like me,) you can be more selective with which ones you buy in hard copy because you can try them out on the Kindle first.

      Delete
  5. Spend the extra and get a Kindle Paperwhite. The screen is whiter and the internal illumination is brilliant! I use the old Kindle in the bath now.

    Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my Keyboard cracks it that will probably be the model I look at getting :-)

      Delete