Saturday, February 14, 2015

Sushi

------------------------------------------------------

There's so many parts to this I don't really know where to start. Okay....
1) Gomashio: It is truly the most delicious seasoning I've ever tasted. You don't need to make it but it takes the sushi to a whole new level and you will use the rest. Sprinkle it on rice, baked potatoes, stir fry, use it in salad instead of salt, serve it with bread and olive oil like dukkah. It's unbelievable. Recipe here.
2) Julienne some spring onions (green onions/scallions), cucumber (seeds scraped out first) and slice an avocado or two. You can include a couple or all of these plus a sprinkling of gomashio in every roll, along with the main filling.
3) Here is a servicable tutorial on rolling makizushi. But seriously, lady, an all cucumber sushi roll? All aboard the Flavour Express!
4) Here is the recipe I use for making sushi rice except I use the rice cooker. Don't bother fanning the rice either. Get an electric fan and point it at the rice as you stir. It's much quicker and easier!

Fillings:

Kimchi: I used my homemade kimchi that I make using my mum's recipe found on her blog. I make it with julienned carrots and chopped cabbage, not big chunky carrots and daikon like in the recipe. That would be ridiculous in sushi. You can buy kimchi which is also delicious but drain most of the liquid and chop it a little. 
Roll with julienne cucumber, spring onion and gomashio.

Roasted sweet potato: This is barely a recipe, it's embarrassing. My mum makes sushi with this, though, and it's unbelievably good.
Slice two large sweet potatoes in half lengthwise and place cut side down on a lined baking tray. Roast for half an hour at 200°C (390°F) or until flesh is very soft.
Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, scoop the flesh out and mash. Season with soy sauce to taste.
Roll with julienne cucumber, spring onion, avocado and gomashio.

Sriracha tuna: Also barely a recipe.
Drain a 425g (15oz.) tin of tuna in springwater and break up the flakes in a bowl. Add sriracha and Kewpie mayonnaise to taste (I used 5 tbs of each) and mix together.
Roll with julienne cucumber, spring onion, avocado and gomashio.

Teriyaki chicken: I was going to make chicken teriyaki from scratch but I ran out of time. Also, lazy!
I combined 8 chicken thighs (trimmed of fat), a bottle of teriyaki sauce and a cup of water in a wok. Bring to a boil and then simmer til the sauce is very reduced and coats the thighs. Slice the chicken thighs thinly and stir the slices with the remaining teriyaki sauce in the wok. 
You won't use all of it on sushi (unless you're catering a wedding or something), so use the leftovers for another meal.
Roll with julienne cucuber, spring onion, avocado and gomashio.

Finally, if you're interested in the green tea mousse I made for dessert, the recipe can be found here. I bought a packet of sweet red beans from the Asian grocer, mashed them and served a spoonful on top of each serving. They compliment each other perfectly!
-----------
Thanks for stopping by The Cookbook Resolution! Come back next week for the Valentine's Brains Debacle!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! My husband loves sushi . I need to make some for him soon.

    ReplyDelete