Wednesday, May 1, 2013
Parmesan & Walnut Waffles With Creamy Basil Sauce
Waffles: From Morning To Midnight by Dorie Greenspan
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup grated Parmesan (pro tip: don't do what I did and grate the cheese over the cup measure at the last minute)
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup EVOO
300ml sour cream
bunch of basil, leaves picked off the stalks
100g baby spinach
2 cloves garlic
1. Preheat your waffle iron as per its instructions. Preheat oven to 100°C (200°F) if you want to serve all the waffles at once.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the milk and eggs and stir to combine. Fold in the Parmesan, walnuts and then, lastly, the oil.
3. Cook waffles according to the iron's instructions (mine yielded 8 square waffles), stashing them in the oven as the cook if that's how you're rolling.
4. MEANWHILE make the sauce. Finely chop (by hand or by food processor) the basil, spinach and garlic together. In a bowl, combine the basil stuff and the sour cream and season with S&P to taste.
5. Serve waffles with the sauce and an awesome salad. YUUUUUM!! (I also made a side of those beans from last week's blog to go with.)